Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Orale Mole Food Truck...a love story.

Orale (What's Up!) Mole Food Truck Sacramento/Elk Grove

It was the brilliant red & green color scheme that first got my attention. Like a fish chasing an attractive fishing lure, I whipped my van around and headed for the food truck.

I grew up "back-in-the-day" when food trucks were not so affectionately called "roach coaches", or worse, "garbage trucks". You could find them buzzing around isolated work locations where workers had few options for lunch. Been there done that.

If there was a food truck to be found worth visiting, chances were it was dishing out burritos and small tacos. I loved the little tacos served with carne asada or carnitas with a bits of chopped onion and cilantro, a splash of lime juice served with fresh salsa, pickled jalapeno or, better yet, both!

Today, food truck dining is a national sensation! From New York to San Francisco, twitter to facebook, pinterest to tumbler, the e-world is alive with noise of this burgeoning business. And for good reason, there are some really talented people opening new and inventive food venues that blaze a new trail for the American diner.

So when I walked up to this red & green kitchen on wheels I had high hopes. Then I saw the "key word". Mole! Having traveled to Oaxaca, the "Land of Mole"  many times, I have a real love affair with mole. There are many different moles made in many different ways depending on which  Oaxacan mother has made it.

They are rich, often complex sauces that are unique in my culinary experience. So the stage was set. What I didn't know at the time was the wonderful story behind the man manning the Orale Mole food truck window, Roel Olivares Jr.

Fortunately for me, I had picked the perfect time to chat with Roel as he was just setting up for the evening. Looking at his menu I asked him about his food and it didn't take long to discover the inspiration behind his business.

The idea of owing a food truck was the dream of Roel and his wife Nancy Olivares. While putting together their plans to start a food truck business, Nancy was diagnosed with breast cancer. Unfortunately, Nancy eventually lost her battle with cancer. After a period of grieving, Roel decided to finish what they had started, dedicating the business to his late wife.

"The recipes are from my two grandmothers (Olivares and Serrano)."

Chicken Mole plate
"Nancy and I loved cooking together. Funny Story, before we met Nancy never had Pico de Gallo (salsa) or anything hot, but halfway through our marriage, she was keeping up with me eating Habanero Salsa."

On Roel's truck you will find the letters "831" and a pink ribbon with Nancy's name attached. "The 831 is, eight letters, three words, one meaning (I love you). This is how we always closed our letters and texts to each other for 26 years."

The pink ribbon is in honor of her memory." Roel also formed the Nancy L. Foundation which is supportive services for breast cancer survivors and their spouses.

Also on the website, Roel has a special page of tribute for Nancy. "Keep your head up. God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers."
Carne Asada Tacos with Raspberry-Chipotle Sauce

If you're in the Elk Grove-Sacramento area look up the Orale Mole Food Truck. Click on 'Schedule' to find Orale Mole's upcoming locations.

Orale (What's Up!) Mole Food Truck: oralemole.mx. 
1-855-67-ORALE. Twitter: http://twitter.com/ORALEmole


Ciao for now!

2 comments:

  1. Your food really looks delicious and mouth-watering! I think I'd be first in line if I see your truck down the street. You must have had lots of clients from state to state. Anyway, have you considered branching out? It can be a practical idea if you want to reach out to a bigger market.

    Clint @Franchisematch.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clint’s got a point. Even though moving from one area to another can add a mysterious effect to your food truck, you can attract more consumers if you consider branching out.

    Joseph @FreshAndHealthyBrands.com

    ReplyDelete