Saturday, April 20, 2013

Beef Tongue: The New Delicacy

A fully cooked beef tongue
On a recent trip to our local Mexican food market, I spied a row of fresh beef tongues in the display case. My wife and I looked at each other and smiled. No words were necessary, for us, beef tongue means celebration!

I can almost hear some of you through my computer...."gross"! you are saying. I will admit, looking at a raw beef tongue isn't as pretty as, say looking at a well-marbled piece of filet mignon. Now I do enjoy a nice steak right off the grill, however, if given the choice, I prefer tongue to steak.

My first experience with beef tongue was many years ago at my fiancee's house, the same lady I am now privileged to call my wife. Her mother was cooking a whole head of beef in the oven.

My wife and her sister were filling me in on how fortunate I was to be there for such a treat. Beef cheeks, brains, eye balls and  tongue. I had previously tasted my soon-to-be mother-in-law's enchiladas and they had won my heart and stomach over.

This was different. This whiter-than-white boy had to  prove himself that he was   ready to fully embrace this part of their Mexican culture. As we sat at the dinner table there was a plate of meat that came off the jaws, and something else, which turned out to be the brains. Next I spotted this dish of chopped up meat in a red sauce which I was informed was the tongue.

My then fiance filled my plate with some of each of these items along with rice, beans and a couple of flour tortillas. To my relief, I had been spared the eyeballs! My strategy was to pour salsa on everything and hope I didn't gag in front of Lupe, my future mother-in-law.

The meat from the head was delicious, so tender. I was off to a good start. Next I went for the tongue. I figured since it was in an attractive sauce I could get a few bites down without too much trouble.

The rich sauce was a thing of beauty on my palate. Then I started chewing on the tongue...it was kind of spongy I thought. Not too weird, like the beef tripe I had endured while eating menudo (which I now absolutely love). I found that the tongue was actually quite good, especially since it was covered with sauce.

All I had to do now was make it pass the brains. I looked at the brains for a long time. Suddenly I realized everyone at the table had stopped eating and was staring at me. My fiancee had a look of fear in her eyes, that said, "you're blowing it"! Startled, I risked a glance at Lupe. To my relief she was grinning.

"You don't have to eat the brains if you don't want to," she smiled, bailing me out!  To this day, I still haven't tried brains, but I absolutely love beef tongue! Here are two recipes that have been handed down to us by my late mother-in-law Lupe Huerta, who I came to love and appreciate as if she were my own mother.

Beef Tongue Sandwich
When my wife and I cook a tongue, we always slice off a few pieces for sandwiches. Our cooking method is about as simple as you will find. We pick up a  tongue that is 3-4 pounds and place it in a large pot, cover it with water and bring to a boil. Next, lower heat and simmer one hour per pound.

After three hours, I cut off a small piece from the large end and check to see if the tongue has cooked enough. It shouldn't be too chewy or rubbery. If it is it hasn't cooked long enough.



When the tongue has cooled enough to handle, peel off the skin as pictured.





Next you are ready to slice some of the meat for sandwiches.



The tongue is the star so we keep it simple. Toasted bread, mayo, slices of tongue, ripe tomato and mixed greens.


With the rest of the tongue we make the dish Lupe made for us so many years ago. It has its origin in the state of Jalisco, Mexico.

Chop the remaining tongue into medium dice, approximately two pounds.



In a large saute pan heat enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. I use Pomace (pure) Olive Oil.





Saute the tongue until heated through, seasoning with kosher salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of chopped onion and saute until the onion are translucent  Add 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour and stir into the pan.



Cook for a couple of minutes before adding 1- 8 oz can of tomato sauce. Fill the empty can with water twice and add to the mix. Season with garlic powder to taste.


My secret ingredient is Rocoto Red Pepper. I found this jar one day at my local Hispanic grocer and use it as a flavor enhancer for sauces. It is rather spicy  I used two tablespoons in my sauce, you might want to start with one and go from there.

Guisado de Lengua, Beef Tongue in Red Sauce.


Simmer for approximately fifteen minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Serve with rice and beans. It is also great in a burrito! Simple and yet delicious!

 Join us on Wednesday as I share with you my trip back into Gold Country on Highway 49 to the town of Auburn, CA. Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment