Sunday, April 7, 2013

Akebono


My first impression of Akebono Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar was not good. It is located on the South side of Sacramento in a strip mall next to Rite Aid on Freeport Blvd.

Having recently moved to the Capitol City from the Bay Area (where there are a number of fine Japanese restaurants), I confess to having a bias towards the Sacramento dining scene.

Entering the restaurant, I  began to forget I was dining in a strip mall, for two reasons. The place was packed with customers. The place was packed with Japanese customers.


Another busy dinner service at Akebono
My perception of the world is often wrong, but in regards to food, me thinks people of any culture will go to the restaurant of their heritage that represents said culture the best. Ergo, I was in the right place.

I like my sushi like my emotions...raw. That means it has to be ultra fresh. That's the litmus test. Flavor, presentation and creativity should soon follow.

Sitting down at the Sushi Bar, I ordered Uni, a pile of Sea Urchin sitting on a pillow of rice, wrapped in seaweed. For my pallet, Uni captures the essence of the sea with its briny flavor. It was perfect!
Sea Urchin left, BBQ Eel on the right.

Next I ordered off the Specials Menu hanging on the wall. Sashimi (raw) cuts of blue fin tuna and king salmon, perfectly sliced, perfectly fresh.


Bright Vue of Akebono
The chef behind the counter informed me they have live Scallops. I love scallops but have never had raw scallops before so I decided to give it a try.


Raw Scallops

As you can see from the above picture, the presentation wasn't great (a black plate would have helped), but what it lacked in eye appeal was made up for in flavor, very sweet and buttery.

The atmosphere at Akebono is very relaxed and comfortable, even when packed, with people lining up out the door. Both the waitstaff and chefs are very friendly and helpful.


    Champon Ramen w/pork, shrimp, squid, fish cake & vegetable
Nabeyaki Udon w/shrimp tempura,egg, fish cake, chicken, napa cabbage, shitake musrooms & green onion.


Tuna two ways, sahimi & rolls

Akebono: 4960 Freeport Blvd, Sacramento, CA (916) 731-8288 http:/akebonojapaneserestaurant.com.

Akebono has become my go-to restaurant in South Sacramento. Ciao for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment